Friday 14 October 2016

Critique feedback

There was concerns about my publication having inconsistencies in the scale of the double page spreads when moving from spread to spread:







In the example above the spread design goes from small-scale text and images to a full, very large image covering the whole spread. I was concerned that this transition was too extreme and would affect how the spreads flow, but I asked in a crit and it was fed back that this didn't matter much and they didn't think the same was true. They suggested I could build the spreads up and down in scale in order to avoid or mitigate this, however. 


It was fed back that my front cover was simple and modernist in a positive way, but that it may appear too dull and exclusive in its target audience. It may limit its appeal to those interested in UI design and technology, instead of making it more accessible and appealing to all. It was recommended that I explore utilising an image on my cover, such as the iPad keyboard seen on the double page spread from inside the book. I will definitely try using that image as a cover to see how effectively it works, but it's worth remembering that this book is targeted at UI designers, designers in general and tech enthusiasts, and so the design doesn't have to be overly accessible for all kinds of people. 

What's important is that the cover makes the book feel approachable but appropriate; modern, simple and fresh. With a digital influence. 

The idea of using bright white paper was reinforced in the crit in order to invoke the feeling of looking at a back-lit display. G.F. Smith's phoeniXmotion stock might be suitable for this; further tests will be performed when my samples are delivered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment