Monday 11 January 2016

The manifestation of Leeds College of Art's identity in my wayfinding system



Leeds College of Art is by definition a fun, quirky and colourful establishment. It utilises a wide but systemised range of colours along with conflicting but harmonious typography to create an identity that hybridises the past and the present. It pays homage to the history of the college and of art as a whole without losing view of the future. 






I have carried both of these elements forward in my system. I have used LCA's colour system and then subtly extended it to allow both for a broader and more flexible range of shades to make room for area linking and to create clear visual differences. I've also employed typefaces that are visually similar to LCA's primary typefaces; I chose Akzidenz because it's visually similar to, but more legible and practical, than Grot. It also represents the creative, quirky and colourful nature of the college through the visual tension present in the typeface because of its long tails and lack of straight edges. 


No comments:

Post a Comment